Wednesday 1 July 2015

DIY: Captain America Shield

My friend is having an American themed 21st party on the 4th of July and so I have decided to go as a female version of Captain America.



I wanted a costume that I could make for very little money as I’m struggling for money at the minute. I have bought a royal blue dress, red gloves and American coloured socks all for £6.00 off eBay. I am making the shield out of cardboard and paints that I found around our house. 


First off I had to find four different circular objects in which I could draw around for the different sized circles on the shield. I used various plant pots and plates.


Once I had cut out four different sized circles, I had to paint them red, blue and white. I used some children’s paint that I found which wasn’t very good and so I had to add lots and lots of coats onto it.


I tried drawing and cutting out a star shape for the center of the shield but failed dramatically. I had to then wait for my mum to get home to help me draw a star! Hahaha. Here’s my rubbish attempt:


Once my mum helped me draw a star, I glued all the pieces together and placed a heavy book ontop of it for a while to ensure it stayed together well. After this I cut out a small strip of cardboard for the handle. I glued and taped the handle onto the back of the shield.


This was my final result. I was pleased with it in the end because it cost me nothing and it worked relatively well! Let’s just hope it doesn’t fall apart before the party!!





No comments:

Post a Comment