Friday 30 September 2016

The Boy with the Cuckoo Clock Heart

Mathias Malzieu
2/5


My Grandma bought me this book quite a while ago, I never actually got round to reading it until this month. I think she purchased it wholly for the cover if I’m being honest. Just look at the illustrations, they’re beautiful. I however didn’t really enjoy the actual book. It was generally a good idea for a storyline but I didn’t feel like the language or writing style flowed nicely. From what I have discovered, this book was translated from French into English and this may be why the writing didn’t progress smoothly throughout. 



I was fond of the different characters and was able to imagine what each of them looked like and create a picture in my mind from the descriptions. I felt like aspects of the story were too farfetched even for a fairy-tale at times and most definitely didn’t enjoy the ending. I disappointingly felt like it had a slightly rushed finish. All in all, I wouldn’t highly recommend this book personally, although people who prefer more of a darker, twisted fairy-tale genre may feel differently.


No comments:

Post a Comment